Thursday, November 10, 2011

Product Junky-ism? Nope! Just a few of my faves!


Shame on me. I've been blogging for over a year and have yet to dedicate a blog to my favorite products?? Tisk Tisk.





Here's some of my "staples", how I use them, and why I love them:






*Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (EVCO):


Coconut oil is one of my favorite, favorite, favorite products ever of all time. I get mine from GNC (Now Brand), because I know they're 100% natural with no additives.

HOW I USE IT:
Pre-poo: I apply a generous amount of coconut oil to my hair before a wash. Put on a shower cap and leave it in my hair for about 1 hour.
Deep Condition: I apply a generous amount of coconut oil to my conditioner, put on a shower cap, and either sit under the dryer for 20 minutes or just leave the conditioner/EVCO mix in my hair for an hour or so. Sometimes, overnight.
Moisturizer: I mentioned in a previous blog how coconut oil is one of the few oils that penetrate the hair shaft. For that reason, I use it as a moisturizer often.

WHY I LOVE IT:
It's lightly scented, 100% natural, gives the hair a beautiful sheen, and prevents protein loss from within the hair shaft. It is also one of the few oils that is able to moisturize. It's versatile (I also use it on my face as a moisturizer or my skin if it is really dry), and easy to find! It's also edible and full of nutrients!


*Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine Leave-in Conditioning Cream


HOW I USE IT:
I use this as my daily moisturizer. I part my hair into medium-sized sections, and apply a pea-sized amount to each section. It keeps my tresses highly moisturized without weighing it down.

WHY I LOVE IT:
It works! I've gone through many "moisturizing" products and this, by far, is THE most moisturizing, in my opinion. It's also crazy cheap!


*Aphogee Keratin 2 Minute Reconstructor

My baby!

HOW I USE IT:
Aphogee Keratin 2 Minute Reconstructor is my light protein of choice. I apply it to my hair after a shampoo, as a conditioner. Sometimes, I put on a shower cap, and sit under the dryer for 20 minutes or so.

WHY I LOVE IT:
Most hair needs protein, and this provides it without drying out the hair, or making the hair brittle. It smells good, but not overpowering. My hair always feels much much stronger after I put this protein conditioner in.


*Hair One Sulfate-free Cleanser

HOW I USE IT:
Shampoo/Hair cleanser: I apply the Hair One just as the instructions indicate on the label. I wet my hair, then apply a good amount of the Hair One, as per the instructions, to the front, back and middle of my hair. I massage it into my hair and scalp and leave the Hair One on for 5 minutes or so for it to do it's cleansing work, while it moisturizes my hair.
Conditioner: After a regular shampoo, I apply the Hair One throughout my whole head, put on a shower cap, and leave it in for 10-30 minutes.
Leave-in conditioner: After shampooing and conditioning my hair, I take about 3 pumps of the Hair One, and rub it throughout my hair as a leave-in conditioner. It provides that extra moisture after a wash, and aids in detangling.

WHY I LOVE IT:
It's extremely versatile, and it's fantastic in all of its intended uses. I love it as a sulfate-free shampoo/hair cleanser because your hair gets really clean without drying out, and without harsh sulfates/detergents. It can be found at Sally Beauty Supply.

BEWARE!!! Many shampoos claim to be sulfate-free, but in fact, are not! Most shampoos that claim to be sulfate-free contain the sulfate "Ammonium Laureth/Lauryl Sulfate (ALS)". Why do they claim to be sulfate-free, then? Because most times, when people speak of sulfates, they are referring "Sodium Lauryl/Laureth Sulfate (SLS)"--which is more harsh than ALS. However, ALS is still a harsh detergent. If you are looking to go sulfate-free, please read your labels!

These are my favorite products that I own! I've tried many things on my journey but none have had the staying power of these 4 products I just listed. It's all about finding what works for your hair, not following hair trends. And remember, keep it simple! Your hair product list shouldn't be looking like your grocery receipt! When choosing a product, don't be stuck on a certain name or brand. Read your labels, know your ingredients, and expand your horizons. Sometimes "black" hair products aren't necessarily the best for our hair!

What are your "staples"?

2 comments: