As I sit here underneath my hot pink Ion hooded dryer... I realize I'm another black woman
1. Wash once a week
2. Grease your scalp
3. Get a perm every 6 - 8 weeks, and make sure it comes out bone straight!
I guess since 2009 is a year of revelations, my hair decided she'd pack her sh*t and leave until she got better treatment!
So this week I've been researching and I've been on a few forums just reading what they had to say, such as LongHairCareForum.com, and Cathy Howse's site, UltraBlackHair.com. I actually ordered some of Cathy's products as well as her book, and I'm anxiously waiting for it to arrive in the mail. I'm learning which products are the best for black hair and what the new hair rules are...Oh, you ain't heard?..Well let me share what I've gathered and chosen to use on my own runaway tresses.
1. Wash your hair twice a week, or every 3 days
2. Deep condition every time or every other time you wash your hair
3. Co-wash (conditioner and shampoo mixed) intermittently or when you deem fit
4. Use a leave-in conditioner after washing
5. Air-drying is best, or sitting under a hooded dryer
6. Moisturize with a water-based moisturizer, and then an oil-based moisturizer (to lock in the moisture) two times a day
7. Use protective styles (ponytail, braid, bun, pin curls)
The resounding theme here is MOISTURE! MOISTURE! MOISTURE! I'm 4 days into my journey and couldn't be more excited! I'm not looking for long flowy Pocahontas tresses right away. I just want healthy hair back on top of my head!
Products I'm Using at the Present Moment
- Elasta QP Shampoo for Relaxed Hair
- Beauty 4 Ashes ( All Natural Ingredients) GodHead Max Moisture & Gro Shampoo & Conditioner
- Organic Root Stimulator Hair Mayonnaise (to deep condition)
- Proclaim Tea-Tree Leave-In Conditioner (not in picture)
- Profectiv Mega Growth Daily Anti-Breakage Stengthener (daily water-based moisturizer)
- Doo Gro Stimulating Growth Oil (daily oil-based moistuizer)
I'm looking to buy the Elasta QP Mango Butter but I can't find anywhere local that sells it..I'll let you know when I do. Well, that's it for now..my deep conditioning is done and is starting to drip into my eye.
(left) August 2008, my first big cut. (right) July 2009, Some growth but way too much breakage.