Monday, August 10, 2009

First Week of Hair Revolution...COMPLETE!

So in my last blog I said I wasn't sure if I was going to wash again on Monday or Tuesday... well clearly today is Monday and I washed. The reason was because:
A) because my hair looked absolutely nuts today, and
B) because I went to the gym and it got even more gross, and saw myself in the mirror and said "DAMN! I guess I could do that wash today..."

So after I came from the gym I did a Pre-Poo, which is basically a pre-shampoo moisturizing treatment. Most times people use conditioners and a different combination of moisturizers and oils.

Here was my washing regimen:

PRE-POO

Organic Root Stimulator Hair Mayonnaise
Dove Moisturizing Conditioner
Honey
Extra Virgin Olive Oil


I parted my hair into 4 sections and applied the pre-poo treatment to each section and saturated the hair with the concoction. I put on a shower cap and let it penetrate for an hour. My hair was amazingly soft.

WASH

Then I washed with Beauty 4 Ashes Godhead Shampoo, and followed up with the Godhead Conditioner. I left the conditioner in for about 3 minutes then rinsed off. There was no need for the deep conditioning since I did the Pre-Poo. My hair felt great after this.

DRYING

I'm staying true to what I said before about applying direct heat to my hair. Therefore I air-dried.

First I blotted my hair with my towel to remove excess water.

Then I sprayed my hair with my Proclaim Tea Tree Leave-In Conditioner and separated it into 4 sections. I brushed each section lightly with my paddle brush to make sure it is detangled and smooth. Then I smoothed it back as if I were putting it into a ponytail. (My hair is too short to go into a comfy ponytail)

I used the "Scarf Method" to air-dry. (Click on the word Scarf Method for a tutorial I found on YouTube) To do this, I made sure I brushed my hair back like I was putting it into a ponytail, smoothed my edges and ends with my Profective Anti-Breakage Strengthener, then tied my silk scarf around my head, leaving the back hanging loose so that my hair could hang dry. In the front, I pulled the scarf back so my edges were just showing.

Photobucket

As my hair that was hanging in the back was air-drying, I occasionally smoothed it down so that it didn't turn out puffy and uncontrollable. Every now and then I'd run my fingers through it so that it dried straight.

This is where I'm at right now and I'm just waiting to apply my moisturizers for the night and then put in my Pin-Curls so that my hair looks good for tomorrow!


FINAL WORDS

I'm actually surprised at how well this air-drying and pre-pooing thing came out. Pleasantly surprised. Now I look forward to caring for my hair, because I feel like I'm starting to understand it better. This feels more natural...I dont feel as guilty when I wash my hair or when I flat-iron it, because I feel like I'm doing what's right. My hair hasn't felt direct heat for over a week now and I'm not missing anything... I haven't conquered anything yet though..This is still a journey. Click on the following link for a hair site I like: Black Hair Growth. It highlights products that you can use, if you're confused as to what products to buy. The only thing I don't particularly agree with the "wash your hair once a week" rule. Simply because I started washing it three times a week and my hair feels a million times better. It used to feel dry and gross when I washed once a week. But...to each his own..

No comments:

Post a Comment