Thursday, November 11, 2010

Keep it simple, stupid!


“It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
-Antoine de Saint Exupéry

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler."
-Albert Einstein

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."
-Leonardo Da Vinci

All too often I hear people complaining of breakage, dryness, not-so-great results, or no results at all. And when they divulge all the details of their regimen...well let's just say it looks a little more like the NFL roster than a hair care regimen.

For example... let's say you have an oil/grease stain on your favorite shirt. You buy 20 stain removers and apply all of them at the same time...and not only does the stain NOT come out, it seems to have gotten bigger! How do you know which stain remover was the culprit? Would you have known that one of those stain removers, if used alone, would have gotten rid of the stain? If you would have...(wait for it) kept it simple, stupid, you would have been able to wear your shirt out to that party on Friday.

There's no need to do pre-poos, co-washes, henna, cholesterol, protein, indigo, black tea rinses, beer rinses, coffee rinses, garlic treatments, biotin, Megatek, and ACV rinses all at the same time. Start off simple with the essentials.

There's nothing wrong with finding different techniques and methods. But take your time, let your hair tell you how it feels about your current regimen before you go nuts at Sally Beauty Supply.


How do you guys feel about the K.I.S.S. mentality in terms of a hair care regimen? Would you consider your regimen simple?

3 comments:

  1. I love this post, especially the stain remover analogy that you used. Sometimes I do get caught up in wanting to use all kinds of products, techniques, etc. However, I agree that ultimately, the more simple your regimen is, the more your hair will thrive. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I learned this the hard way, when I stopped jumping on every product bandwagon, I saved my pockets and my counter space.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for commenting ladies. I agree Vanessa, the easier/simpler your regimen is, your hair tends to respond to it better.

    @ Lady Cyone, u ain't never lied! I was a product junkie when i first started my journey, and I'm still willing to try out new products and techniques, but i'm not going broke over a conditioner everyone raved about.

    ReplyDelete